Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Wordless Wednesday ~ 40: Contrasts

Contrasts (Trg Slobode, Novi Sad, Serbia)

Emm 6 October 2010 at 21:32

Novi Sad is indeed a city of contrasts and Hels from Art and Architecture, mainly commented on this ugly red brick building last week. I thought you'd like another look at it and to see how it contrasts against Crkva imena Marijinog.

AVCr8teur 7 October 2010 at 05:33

The brick building looks more orangy than red. I am assuming it is an apartment. Several tenants have ugly satellite dishes by their windows. I wonder what those restaurant-goers across the street think about it.

Wissy 7 October 2010 at 09:23

Very typical of many previous communist cities where "fuctional" but cheap build properties were erected without thought given to beauty or ambience of the surroundings.Panelaks in Prague are a good example. One could also argue the same for 1960's Britain!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day 7 October 2010 at 20:09

Yes, it's not an inspiring red brick building, but to me it doesn't detract from the church as much as it might. In a way, I think it makes the church stand out as more of a focal point. Anything more striking or beautiful might take your attention right away. Or maybe it's just your expert photography, Mrs Emm! :)

William K Wallace 8 October 2010 at 23:16

The red brick building sure does look hideous, but no worse than some of the council estates you will come a cross in London. I'm hoping inside is more inspiring than the outside...but I doubt it!

Betty Manousos @ CUT AND DRY 9 October 2010 at 12:41

Love that red brick building and I love the depth in that photo.
Beautiful shot!
Hope you have a nice weekend!

Big hugs!

B xx

And Miles To Go... 10 October 2010 at 17:57

beautiful capture--love the steeple!

Trotter 10 October 2010 at 22:00

Hi Emm! Novi Sad? Did you go for the Festival?

I’m going to be offline working in a «remote» location next week, but left you in a new destination in Blogtrotter Two... Enjoy and have a great week!

Ryan 11 October 2010 at 20:21

This actually reminds me of certain areas of Glasgow in Scotland, during the 50s & 60s some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to erect thousands of atrocious looking buildings throughout the city.

Emm 13 October 2010 at 20:40

It occurs to me that I should have written "ugly red brick building" because I didn't think it ugly or out of place and only noticed the contrast after Hels pointed it out to me. There are very few buildings that I find truly ugly.

@ AVCr8teur: It was like a pedestrian walk way with shops, restaurants, banks and foreign exchange kiosks up and down both sides. I would hope the diners are looking at the church rather!

@ Wissy: I can't wait to go to Prague one day. Luckily it is high on the Husband's list of priorities too.

@ Ash: Thnak you!

@ Sheila: Thank you! It is indeed one of my favourite shots.

@ William: Ha! No, I actually think the outside would probably look better - it is most probably in need of modernisation inside.

@ Betty: Thank you!

@ And Miles To Go: Thank you! It is exquisite, it is all multi-coloured.

@ Trotter: Yes! I did go for the festival! It was great!!

@ Ryan: One day I'd like to visit Glasgow. I do like all these contrasts.

Martyn 17 October 2010 at 23:04

The thing that strikes me about the photo is that the clear blue skies are above the ugly red building. The clouds are hovering over the church.

Nice photo and a perfect contrast.

Kiki 18 October 2010 at 17:12

Gorgeous shot..I love it...I also love those old street lamps...dazzling! Beautiful Emm!

Joy 21 October 2010 at 23:45

That church is breathtaking!

Many thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again tomorrow!

Tina 25 October 2010 at 12:32

its cool how the mix of modern and traditional are so close together. You can see how buildings have moved on over time.

I always prefer the traditional historical building ways myself. shame its all modern brickwork these days.