Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Wordless Wednesday ~ 45: Piscator

Piscator, Euston Station, London

Click here for more Wordless Wednesday participants

William K Wallace 17 November 2010 11:31

Intriguing piece of street art. I haven't got a clue as to what it is meant to represent or where it is, you will have to enlighten me?

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day 17 November 2010 16:10

Intriguing name, too.... The best I can think of is something to do with fish, but there seems no resemblance.

Mo 18 November 2010 17:05

Where did you find that?

Emm 18 November 2010 19:35

Hi everyone!

The plaque reads:

Piscator by Eduardo Paolozzi

Assisted by Ray Watson

Cast by Robert Taylor & Co (Ironfounders) Ltd

Commissioned by
British Railways Board
Fluor (Great Britain) Ltd
Sir Robert McAlpine & Sons Ltd
Norwich Union Insurance Group
Pension Fund Securities Ltd

Presented to the nation through the Arts Council of Great Britain 1981

All I know is that a piscator means fisherman or angler but I don' really get it.

Mo - you might have walked past it tons of times! I know I have. It is outside Euston station.

Dorincard 18 November 2010 20:49

Emm, Malawi cranes -> those are maximum cards. Stamps are on the picture side so you can compare concordance stamp+postcard+postmark, "for philatelic pleasure". See more in my websites. :)
I'll follow your blog.

AVCr8teur 18 November 2010 23:28

I was curious myself, but it looks like the artist might have created the piece to honor the expressionist theatre director Edwin Piscator.

Birdman 20 November 2010 14:01

This is an interesting piece of street art. Often so controversial.

John 20 November 2010 15:12

What a strange sculpture.
Yes, Namibia was good, made it down to Fish River Canyon this time. One bad day; the battery failed on the 4x4 in the middle of friggin' nowhere. Didn't like that. Third time there on self-drive but first serious problem. Great country.

Spiderdama 20 November 2010 22:25

Very strange sculpture :-)

Emm 21 November 2010 00:12

@ Dorin: Thanks for the info!

@ AVCr8teur: You are in fact correct!

@ Birdman, John and Spiderama: Very strange indeed!!

Joy 21 November 2010 13:00

Er.... I don't know what to say coz I can't tell what it is :)

Have a great start to your week!

Many thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comment. Come visit again tomorrow!

Kiki aka Victoria 21 November 2010 17:57

Hi Emm..wow..intersting..always something intriguing here when i visit..excellent!!
Hope you are having an awesome wkd!

That wheel( photo) you asked me about..is like a very large heavy decorative slab..I am not sure what it is from. It was quite fun to photograph.

Have a happy day
kiki

Tina 22 November 2010 13:17

Thats a strange statue. It looks like two transformers had been fighting and crashed into it! :)

Emm 8 December 2010 20:53

@ Joy: Ha ha! I don't quite know what it is either!!!

@ Kiki: Oooo, I think I know the type. i used to have one on my outside wall at home.

@ Tina: You're right! That is exactly whatit looks like!