Tuesday, 30 March 2010

The Shard and London Bridge Quarter

There is no doubt about it.  The Shard is going to be absolutely exquisite when it is finished in 2012.  Here are some press images that were released a couple of years ago.  You can see more plus videos and models at the site London Bridge Quarter - The Shard - London Bridge Place.

The Shard London Skyline 2012

The skyline will be greatly altered (you can click on the image for a larger resolution).

The Shard London Aerial View 2012

The Shard will emerge from behind City Hall and will look like a shard of glass going into the sky.

The Shard street level 2012

We will finally be able to walk along the street level again and on the piazzas between the buildings.

The Shard apartment interior 2012

The Shard will feature super snazzy apartments…

The Shard office interior 2012

… and state of the art offices.

The Shard 2012

When The Shard is competed in 2012, it will be the tallest skyscraper in the United Kingdom.  It will stand at 310 metres tall (1,017 feet) and will have 72 floors plus 15 radiator floors on the roof.

The project architect is Renzo Piano and he has designed the building to look like a shard of glass.  The building will have a public viewing gallery at the top and is expected to draw two million visitors a year.  I’d just like to put it out there that I would love to be amongst the privileged group of people that gets to preview the viewing deck.

I, for one, cannot wait to see it when it is finished.  I do, however, find it makes me think rather silly things.  For example, “Oh look! There is even place for the Four Horsemen to land” and “We have a Gherkin, an Onion and now we have a Toothpick!”  I will try my best not to come up with any more witty remarks.

juka14 30 March 2010 at 07:42

The Shard looks great, a bit futuristic! It will be an eye catcher in London.

John 30 March 2010 at 07:46

It will be a 'must' with a wide-angle when it's finished.

Sheila 30 March 2010 at 10:53

I look forward to seeing it too. The view from the top will be incredible!

William K Wallace 30 March 2010 at 12:29

Another huge monster going up in central London, not too sure if it looks any good. I will reserve judgement until its finished. I suppose at least it will look more interesting than Heron Tower the current tallest building in the City of London and in my opinion one of the ugliest buildings in all of London...

Claire 30 March 2010 at 15:18

That's awesome. It is eye catching!

Gary Denness 30 March 2010 at 16:24

I saw your photos of the construction a while ago, and thought I ought to go check out some drawings of what it's look like when it's finished. I forgot....so thanks for the post! It's definitely something I'm going to have to go up...I was always disappointed the Gherkin had no viewing level.

Kathy Amen 30 March 2010 at 19:31

OMG! It's going to be gigantic! It looks like it will be a gorgeous building (and I could SO live in that apartment!) but I'm not sure how the scale of it will fit with the rest of London's charmingly low-level skyline....

Erin P 31 March 2010 at 02:34

Well, that's going to be quite something! I like the pictures of the skyline!

Katherine 31 March 2010 at 02:52

Very beautiful. Hope they have rooms without glass for the bathrooms LOL!

Cassandra Frear 31 March 2010 at 02:55

Wow. That apartment with all the glass. How amazing would it be to live in that?

suze2000 31 March 2010 at 03:54

Thanks for posting about this, I had no idea it was going up. London Bridge is a train station I've gone through hundreds of times, so it'll be interesting to see the changes next time I'm visiting my friends in South London. Mind you, that's next year. So it may have to wait until I return sometime in the next decade to see it finished.

I'm not sure if I like it. I'm not a fan of massive high rises generally. But I'm interested to see it. :)

Ashwathy 31 March 2010 at 05:00

i had no idea about this!
thanks for posting it...

and yes its definitely going to change the view forever! whoa!

Somethin Beautiful 31 March 2010 at 11:38

Wow. That a beautiful apartment with full of glass

AudreyRose 1 April 2010 at 04:53

The Shard looks great. I just hope I could visit London in the near future :D

The Ancient Digger 5 April 2010 at 17:34

I love the reasoning behind this building. Plus, you just can't beat a building named after a piece of pottery or a sliver of glass. Very archaeological I must say. lol

Emm 8 April 2010 at 21:32

@ Juka: I agree! And it will change the skyline for sure!!

@ John: And who knows? Maybe I will have a decent camera by then!!

@ Sheila: I agree - I can't wait to get up there!!

@ William Wallace: I'm sure I've taken a photo of the construction of the Heron Tower before, I shall have to dig it out. I'm the opposite of you - I think it is going to be breathtakingly gorgeous.

@ Claire: Yeah, I think you won't be able to miss it when it's finished!!

@ Gary: Aren't I just super efficient providing photos like that!

@ Kathy: I agree - I think London's Vista is certainly changing. Then again, I couldn't even imagine London without the Dome, London Eye and Gherkin now!!

@ Erin: The skyline pictures are my best too!

@ Katherine: Hahaha! But would it matter that high up?

@ Cassandra: I agree!! But we could never afford them - there are apartments in a yucky area down the road going for £2 million!

@ Suze: Hiya! I love skyscrapers so this is all pretty exciting to me!! Thanks for popping by and commenting.

@ Ash: heh. I hope you get to see it soon.

@ Something beautiful: Definitely!

@ Jennifer: Doesn't it just?

@ Audrey Rose: Do you have any plans for overseas travel?

@ Ancient Digger: Hahaha! "Piece of pottery" made me laugh as I imagined "broken handle" and "chipped plate".

AVCr8teur 28 April 2010 at 05:36

That is going to be an amazing building! I will have to make it out to the UK to see it firsthand.
Thank you so much for your kind words and review on Blogged!

Emm 19 May 2010 at 15:12

@ AVCr8teur: It is a pleasure! Let me know when you do make it out - I'll take you for a cup of tea!